Monday, September 23, 2013

"Architecture You Can Understand": What Does It Mean? (Part 1)

Disclaimer:  Please pardon my often sarcastic, irreverent sense of humor.  The point is still made, though...

Okay, it's pet peeve time.  Truth be told, I have enough peeves to start my own petting zoo, but this is one that relates to my own chosen field of Architecture.  I can't tell you how many times I've opened an issue of an architectural magazine to read about an architect describing his latest project.  Too often, it goes something like this...

Look, Mom!  I forgot my straightedge!
"My inspiration for the curved, yet linear nature of the underlying structure was the natural form of waves crashing onto the shore in Buenos Aires on October 27th of 1967.  The elevation of the entrance pedestal was set at the height of the Tibetan mountain lion to speak to the biodiversity of life in the tundra.  The 24.5 degree angle to which it is tilted is symbolic of man's struggle to achieve mastery over his inner racism.  The square footage of the project is the same number as the deaths in Rwanda in 1987.  And finally, it has the exact same carbon footprint as a Yeti in heat.  See how globally aware my project is?"
Don't get me wrong; I am all for creating energy-conscious projects that often incorporate symbolism in some way.  If not for responsible architects, we would all be living in those little wooden shacks that Home Depot sells in their parking lot.  I suspect, however, that often times the real reason for that 24.5 degree skewed pedestal was so that the architect could say, "Look, Mom!  I made it into Architectural Digest!"

What the %$#& ?
I know there will be many that disagree (everyone has the right to be wrong,) but I believe that too often architects design projects as statements about themselves as opposed to meeting the clients' needs.  I believe every design decision needs to be based on reasons that can be explained in down-to-earth terms to the client, even if that reason is "this will look pretty darn cool and attract a lot of attention to your business."

Perhaps this philosophy comes from many years working in small towns and cities, where the clients are a bit more pragmatic, but I firmly believe that we as architects should be honest with our clients.  Our design solutions should first and foremost reflect the needs of our clients in a reasonable, socially and environmentally conscious manner.  If our clients don't "get it," then we are not doing our job.  That is "Architecture You Can Understand."

Next week, Part Two:  "Well then, what the heck should our designs accomplish?"

No comments:

Post a Comment